About The School  

Tallassee High School

Tallassee High School

 

Tallassee High School is a 5A public school currently serving 555 students, grades nine through twelve, in its facility located at 502 Barnett Blvd. in Tallassee, Ala.  Currently, the student body is composed of 50% female students and 50% male students. Race and ethnicity statistics reveal that 69% of the student population is white, 29% of the population is black, and 2% of the student population is Hispanic. Tallassee High School houses 18 teachers with bachelor's degrees, 14 teachers with master's degrees, and two teachers with education specialist's degrees. 

It was not until 1915 that the present Tallassee school system had its beginnings.  Various buildings in town, from churches to lodge halls, were used for educational purposes.  In 1916, a schoolhouse was built on the Elmore County side of the river, and within a few years it was enlarged, due to increased attendance.  This increase was a result of the combination of the East and West Tallassee schools.  At that time, the elementary students attended school in East Tallassee and the high-school students attended school in West Tallassee.

In 1928, the 1916 schoolhouse was destroyed by fire.  It was replaced with the present main two-story building.  An elementary school building constructed in 1942 housed the family-and- consumer-science classes and the girls' gym. The band room and cafeteria were constructed in 1957.  A new gym and an industrial arts classroom with workshop were added in 1967-68, and students have enjoyed the benefits of two gymnasiums ever since.  Total desegregation for the systems was accomplished during the 1969-1970 school year.  All elementary students were finally serviced in one school with the opening of the new elementary school in 1993.  The empty elementary building on the high-school campus was renovated for science classrooms and laboratories in 1998.  The lunchroom was updated to a modern eating area in 2004.

The religious orientation of the community is varied, including the following houses of worship:

African Methodist Episcopal Zion, Assembly of God, Christian Church, Church of Christ, Church of God, Congregational Christian Church, Episcopal, Full Gospel, God's Congregation, Holiness, House of Prayer, Independent Baptist, Independent Methodist, Jehovah's Witnesses, Missionary Baptist, Pentecostal, Presbyterian, Primitive Baptist, Roman Catholic, Southern Baptist, and United Methodist.

The school is situated in the city of Tallassee, a small town located at the intersection of State Highway 14 and State Highway 229.  Interstate 85 is five miles away, which provides easy access to Montgomery, Birmingham, and other major cities.  Tallassee is located on the Tallapoosa River in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.  The Tallapoosa River bisects the city. The east side of the City is in Tallapoosa County and the west side of the City is in Elmore County. Tallassee is 35 miles east of Montgomery, the state capital.